Pictured: Steven Mosley
How I Went from “Never Trump” to Trump Advocate
By Steven Mosley
Recently, I was asked by a friend why should African Americans vote for Trump. As an African American, I gave them over 10 reasons why, but before I share a few of those reasons with you I would like to say…
In 2016, I did not vote for Trump!
And no, I didn’t vote for any of the alternatives as none of them were worthy of a conservative’s vote. I just could not vote for a man who had no track record of conservative governance. I didn’t think Donald Trump would come through on his promises, so I wrote in the name of my favorite senator.
Four years later, I am what’s known as a #MAGA Republican. I went from “Never Trump” to Trump advocate — and you should too.
Donald Trump is the only president in my lifetime that did what he said he was going to do. Whether it was picking judges from the conservative list or defunding planned parenthood’s Title X funding or moving the US embassy to Jerusalem. Donald Trump has kept his promises to the American people.
During the 2016 campaign Donald Trump asked the Black community: “What do you have to lose?”
The answer was clear at the time: nothing! Neither party had really focused on the success of African Americans up until that point, but President Trump has. Here are a few reasons why I believe President Trump has earned the black vote:
- President Trump signed the First Step Act which even has CNN contributor and left wing activist Van Jones singing its praises as it is the first major criminal justice reform bill that has helped not hurt Black Americans. As 90 percent of those who got their sentences reduced and released from jail were Black Americans.
- Next, President Trump listened to 65 % of the Black community and became a school choice advocate by increasing school choice funding and allowing parents to use their 529 savings plan for K-12 education. This had never been done.
- Finally, President Trump supports Historically black Colleges and Universities ( HBCU) by giving more funding to HBCU than any president in history.
Bottom line: Promises made. Promises kept.
Trump’s track record shows we can trust that when he is re-elected Trump will:
- Make Juneteenth a national holiday
- Designate the KKK and Antifa as terrorist groups and make lynching a hate crime
- Continue to support HBCUs
- Provide funding for opportunity zones
- Work on the Second Chance Act which is getting ex-cons gainful employment
- Defend religious liberty and Black churches that lift the conscience of our nation
Donald Trump has Black voices like mine and others singing his praises because unlike the average politician he didn’t put hot sauce in his pocket or just show up at the local AME church to win black votes. Instead, he got to work and has kept his word.
College educator Steven Mosley was the 2019 Fairfax GOP-endorsed candidate for school board in the county’s Mount Vernon district. He now hosts a lively and insightful podcast, Facts, Opinions and Rants.