TAX, TAX, TAX — SPEND, SPEND, SPEND
Analysis of Governor Ralph Northam’s budget, from the Conservative Legislative Information Council of Virginia (CLIC-VA):
- INTERNET TAXES: much more than anticipated is being collected.
- SWEEP & KEEP: $360 million in taxpayer relief from the Trump tax cut. These funds will not be returned to Virginia taxpayers.
- NEW TAX ON ELECTRONIC GAMES OF SKILL: Another tax windfall estimated $125 million. Earmarked for schools.
- GAS TAX INCREASE: for transportation infrastructure — no proposed lock box for funds.
- CIGARETTE TAX: increased 30 cents per pack — to create state-run healthcare reinsurance fund replacing an Obamacare provision that was repealed.
- Work toward a future ‘TRACK and TAX’ on DRIVERS – miles traveled user fee.
- NO PROPOSED TAX CUTS.
- Eliminates Taxpayer Relief Fund created just months ago.
- $1.2 billion for education — one of the largest new investments in K-12 ever proposed in Virginia.
- $145 million tuition-free community college grant program.
- $733 million for climate change and environmental initiatives
- $92 million in new funding to address housing affordability, eviction rates, and supportive housing.
- $94.8 million in new funding for early childhood education.
- $22 million to combat maternal and infant mortality and reduce the racial disparity in Virginia’s maternal mortality rate.
- $200 million slush fund for the General Assembly.
The Conservative Legislative Information Council of Virginia (CLIC-VA) exists to educate and engage citizens and elected representatives of the Commonwealth of Virginia from the perspective of Virginia’s founding principles – constitutionally limited government, free enterprise, and individual freedom and responsibility. Through legislative research, advocacy, and activism, the CLIC works to foster an environment of ethical accountability and transparency within Virginia’s political and regulatory system.