Galdo for Chairman | Press Release
Joe Galdo, Fairfax GOP nominee for Chairman of the Board of Supervisors, today rolled out his plans to restore fiscal discipline and start cutting taxes. “As Chairman, I will always put taxpayers first,” Galdo told dozens of supporters at the annual Fairfax County Taxpayers Alliance luncheon.
Galdo unveiled a seven-point plan, designed to halt and reverse the current trend of swelling county budgets and rising tax bills:
- Insist on “unprecedented, unrivaled levels of transparency,” to include prominently-advertised, user-friendly online access to county expenditures and contracts.
- Enact zero-based budgeting reforms – start with the revenue available, rather than using current spending as the baseline.
- Embrace outcome-based budgeting – focus on the results of county spending.
- Root out frivolous, ideologically-driven spending programs – like the $200,000 allocated for the lawyers of illegal aliens facing removal hearings.
- Reform the county’s business, professional and occupational licensing (BPOL) tax, in a manner that lessens the burden on small businesses.
- Totally abolish the county’s regressive tax on groceries.
- Balance annual county budgets without increasing real estate taxes.
“The status quo is not sustainable, nor is it morally defensible,” Galdo said. “We can’t expect taxpayers to fork over more and more, year after year. I understand that government exists to serve the people – not the other way around.”
Joe Galdo is the Fairfax GOP nominee for Chairman of the Board of Supervisors. Follow him on Twitter: @GaldoForChair.