
The Second Amendment Foundation, the Firearms Policy Coalition, and the National Rifle Association filed twin lawsuits on May 15, 2026 — one in Washington County state court, one in federal court — hours after Governor Abigail Spanberger signed Delegate Dan Helmer’s assault-weapons ban into law.
State Senator Saddam Azlan Salim (D, SD-37 — Fairfax) patroned the Senate version, SB749. Delegate Dan Helmer (D, HD-10 — Fairfax) patroned the House version, HB217. Both bills take effect July 1, 2026.
The statute bans the sale, manufacture, or transfer of so-called “assault firearms” and bans detachable magazines holding more than 15 rounds. Existing owners can keep what they have. New retail sales end June 30.
U.S. Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights Harmeet Dhillon answered the signing the same afternoon — three words and a video clip:
See you in court! 👉🏽👉🏽 👉🏽 pic.twitter.com/lL37OTUOXH
— AAGHarmeetDhillon (@AAGDhillon) May 15, 2026
Helmer made the case in personal terms. From his statement: “Weapons similar to those that I carried serving in combat zones have no place in our schools, in our churches, and on our streets.”
The military rifles Helmer is referring to are select-fire weapons — the operator can choose semi-automatic or fully automatic fire. The civilian rifles his bill targets are different and semi-automatic only. The mechanics differ. The statute does not.
The lawful Fairfax gun owner walking into a Virginia retailer on July 2 will not be allowed to buy a new AR-15 or a standard-capacity magazine. The criminal who already owns one is not affected.
NRA spokesperson Justin Davis told reporters the team had been ready: “We knew this day would come, and our team of world-class attorneys that were prepared, and that’s why we were able to file easily following her signature before that could even dry.”
The state suit landed in Washington County in southwest Virginia. The plaintiffs: the National Rifle Association, the Firearms Policy Coalition, the Second Amendment Foundation, and two individual NRA members. The relief sought: a preliminary injunction stopping the July 1 effective date, and a Virginia Supreme Court strike-down.
A federal companion was filed the same afternoon. Davis described the federal suit as having “national implications.”
The Virginia GOP framed the bill in plain terms in its signing-day statement:
Just another illegal Democrat power grab, just like their gerrymandering power grab.
— Virginia GOP (@VA_GOP) May 15, 2026
Republicans stand committed to overturning this egregious assault on the Second Amendment rights of Virginians.
Democrats call this an “assault weapons” ban, but really it sweeps up virtually… pic.twitter.com/fNRuagXnWq
Spanberger asked the General Assembly to amend the bill to exempt firearms commonly used for hunting. The General Assembly’s Democrat majority rejected the amendment. She signed the bill anyway.
She told reporters she would “work with the patrons to clarify this language.” The clarification has not yet been published. The statute the courts are now litigating is the version the legislature wrote — not the version the Governor asked for.
The Committee has been documenting Helmer’s pattern: he drew himself a congressional district two weeks before signing day. His own bill takes effect five months before his own next ballot cycle opens.
Helmer authored the House version. Salim authored the Senate version. The Democrat majority rejected Spanberger’s hunting amendment. The NRA, the Firearms Policy Coalition, and the Second Amendment Foundation filed in two courts. Five plaintiffs are now in litigation.
July 1, 2026 is when the ban takes effect. Tuesday, November 2, 2027 is when Helmer and Salim face Fairfax voters. The federal courts will rule in between.