Governor Glenn Youngkin today announced this week as School Choice Week, and issued a proclamation highlighting the importance of school choice for Virginia’s students and parents. “As your governor, I will continually stand up for students and parents and will sign the largest education budget in Virginia’s history. Our goal is that every student will graduate high school ready to go to college or start a great career. Choice and innovation within public education is vital to achieving that goal. That’s why together we will not only raise standards and raise teacher pay, but we will invest $150 million to kick start 20 new charter schools in the Commonwealth. We must empower parents and students with choice and innovation in K-12 public education,” said Governor Glenn Youngkin.
Political outsider, successful business leader, and Republican nominee for governor Glenn Youngkin today announced his Day One Game Plan, laying out the actions he will take on his first day in office toward achieving his vision of making Virginia the best place to live, work, and raise a family. “We have a lot we need to get done here in Virginia, and we need to start strong,” Youngkin said.
Allowing families to choose schools that are more suited to their children may play a key role in improving student mental health, including reducing adolescent suicide rates, suggests new research published in the peer-reviewed journal School Effectiveness and School Improvement.
The study is the first of its kind to examine the relationship between U.S. school choice policies and teen suicide and mental health issues.
In response to another year where a miniscule number of Black and Hispanic students were admitted to the incoming class at Thomas Jefferson High School of Science and Technology (“TJ”), Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) Superintendent Scott Brabrand is proposing to scrap the entrance exams and teacher recommendations and admit 80% of TJ’s students by lottery. The other 20% would be admitted on vague criteria
There are currently more than 7,400 public charter schools providing individualized education and learning opportunities to more than 3 million students and their families throughout our Nation. During National Charter School Week, we recognize the contributions of public charter school leaders, teachers, students, and parents and reaffirm our commitment to further expand access to public charter schools and all high-quality education opportunities throughout our Nation…
This past week I met an African American mom at Whitman Middle School’s Back to School Night who expressed concern because when her 8th grader graduates from Whitman she will be placed into one of the lowest-performing high schools in our district. This parent was looking for other options. She asked me if elected what I would do to give parents more options
In Episode 9 of our meet-the-candidate video podcast series, Fairfax GOP Vice Chairman Matt Truong interviews Mount Vernon school board candidate Steven Mosley. Get to know to know this dynamic candidate’s story and vision for parent-powered education reform